APPLICATION FOR FIREARMS PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD AND/OR HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMIT
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you.
The Online S.T.S. 033 Form should be used only after consultation with the South Bound Brook Police Department. It is utilized by applicants for Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Handgun Purchase Permits. It is also utilized for replacement of a lost, stolen, or mutilated Identification Card and changes of address, sex, or name on an Identification Card.
If you have never been fingerprinted before for firearms purposes, you will need to go for fingerprinting with the Universal Fingerprint Form that will be generated after successful submission of this form. However, if you have been fingerprinted before for firearms purposes, upon completion of this form and payment, you would have completed both S.T.S 033 and 212A requirements.
Online Firearms Application Registration System (FARS)
Application Procedures for Applicants
Visit the website:
Enter the ORI # for the South Bound Brook Police Department:
Please ensure that the ORI number is correct on the form. If an incorrect ORI number is entered on the form, you will NOT receive a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit. You will then have to re-apply using the correct ORI number and pay for the process again. A REFUND CAN NOT BE ISSUED.
Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
When completing the application, you will need:
- Personal Information including all former names and name aliases
- SBI Number if you have previously been fingerprinted for firearms
- Two References with their contact information – address, e-mail, and phone (OTHER THAN RELATIVES)
- Employer Information if employed
- Past residential address history if you have resided outside New Jersey in last 10-years
- For Change of Name application, copy of supporting marriage license or court order (in any of these formats - PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, TIFF and TIF)
- Driver's License and/or Alien Registration Number, if not a US Citizen
Please fully proofread the entered information at the "Review Screen" portion of your application. Please also print out the confirmation pages after your application is electronically submitted.
You will also need to complete the Consent for Mental Health Records Search Form (SP-066)
Complete the form and print it out, as it will need to be hand delivered to the South Bound Brook Police Department.
You MUST appear at the South Bound Brook Police Department to PAY for your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permits AND to SUBMIT the completed Consent for Mental Health Records Search (SP-066) Form.
Fees must be paid by cash, check or money order (payable to "Borough of South Bound Brook"). Payments should be submitted with your FARS confirmation number.
Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have paid for the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permits. All fees are non-refundable and need to be collected PRIOR to completing background and issuing a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permits as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
DO NOT SHOW UP if you receive an e-mail advising that your application is approved. The South Bound Brook Police Department will contact you to retrieve your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit documents when complete.
Bring proof of identification (Picture ID with Name and Date of Birth) at time of pick up (i.e. NJ Driver’s License).
* You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process through FARS.
* The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and e-mail addresses for yourself and your references.
* Please advise your references that the FARS system will e-mail them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
* Although your Social Security number is not mandatory, it is highly encouraged that you include a SSN where indicated. Failure to do so could significantly delay processing of the application.
* Effective January 1, 2010, the State of New Jersey limits the purchase of handguns to 1 every 30 days.
Questions or Assistance:
South Bound Brook Police Department Firearms Investigation Unit