APPLICATION FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you.
A permit to carry is required for any handgun—concealed or not—and it must be renewed every 2 years. Only one permit needs to be obtained for all such handguns.The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application.
In addition to meeting the requirements of the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun, you must also:
1. YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON
Out of State Resident – apply at a non-toll road State Police Barracks closest to your residence.
South Bound Brook Resident – apply at South Bound Brook Police Department Headquarters
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
1. Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
2. Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be double sided and notarized.
3. Four (4) color passport size photographs.
4. Consent for Mental Health Records Search Form (SP-066)
5. Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
a. Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
b. Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
6. Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
** ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE FINGERPRINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGER PRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGH OUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE STATE POLICE WEBSITE, WWW.NJSP.ORG > PUBLIC INFORMATION > FIREARMS INFORMATION > NEW JERSEY SHOOTING RANGES FOR RPO QUALIFICATION.
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
Applications for permits to carry are not permitted via the FARS online system.
A consultation with the South Bound Brook Police Department Firearms Investigation Unit is recommended, prior to completing and submitting an Application for a Permit to Carry a Handgun.
Questions or Assistance:
South Bound Brook Police Department Firearms Investigation Unit