FIREARMS APPLICANT INFORMATION
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you.
In order to obtain a firearm, you must meet eligibility requirements and comply with the statutes which govern firearms purchases in the state of New Jersey.
1. Must be a resident of South Bound Brook and be at least 18 years of age to obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card, and 21 years of age to qualify for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun.
2. Applicant must be of good character and of good repute in the community in which he or she lives.
3. Can never have been convicted of a crime of the first, second, third, or forth degree in this state, or the equivalent in another state or jurisdiction, that has not been expunged or sealed.
4. Must not be a drug dependant person as defined in section 2 of P.L. 1970, c.226 (C.24:21-2).
5. Must not be currently confined for a mental disorder to a hospital, mental institution or sanitarium.
6. Must not be a habitual drunkard.
7. Cannot suffer from a physical defect or disease that would make it unsafe for him or her to handle firearms.
8. Can never have been confined for a mental disorder.
9. Cannot be an alcoholic.
10. Persons who do not meet the requirements of items seven, eight and nine above are ineligible to obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun unless such person produces a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof, that he or she is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a manner that would interfere with or handicap him or her in the handling of firearms.
11. Must not knowingly falsify any information on the application form or any other required document.
12. Must not be subject to a court order issued pursuant to section 13 of P.L. 1991, c.261 (C.2C:25-29) prohibiting the applicant from possessing any firearm.
13. Must not be a person where the issuance of such permit would not be in the interest of the public health, safety or welfare.
Firearms applicant procedures and additional information:
Questions or Assistance:
South Bound Brook Police Department Firearms Investigation Unit